Sunday 29 June 2008

A short post about Paris and Cats

Cats In Paris make music that could perhaps be classified as epic-twee-prog-electro-pop (is that a super-oxymoron, or what?). I first heard them doing a session on Marc Riley’s 6Music show a couple of weeks ago, and it’s taken me until now to track something down (I lead a busy life, don’t you know). They seem to come from Manchester, and have released some stuff on Akoustik Anarkhy. They remind me a little of Pram and a lot of Gorky’s.

Ladies and gentlemen, the oxymoronic
Cats in Paris – Loose Tooth Tactile

Ladyhawke has been all over my radio recently, she sort of crept up on me that way. She’s been blogged like hell everywhere else, so I don’t need to say too much, except that she’s from New Zealand, is signed to Modular and her voice reminds me of my childhood crush Kim Wilde.  She also has a cool little watercolour drawing of a cat on her homepage (see what I did there?)



















Her video is a bit of an odd one, not much really happens and there are no fantastical occurrences – except what looks like sparks raining down on her which makes you want to cry “Ladyhawke! Be careful you don’t singe your mane off!” The sparks turn out to be a foil ticker-tape parade, and then she gets a wolf from somewhere and disappears off into the fires at the end of the street. It’s a strange one, and here it is:

Ladyhawke – Paris Is Burning


Post-script: Some helpful bod at Fluo Kids posted a French version called Paris S’Enflamme, which I downloaded in time to play at last night’s L’Amour Electronique. Bravo!

No comments: