Thursday 25 February 2010

a good charity shop haul

Last Friday we went for a little day-trip to Bexhill-on-Sea, where we trawled the many charity and junk shops for second-hand treasures. I flicked my way through record-after-record of James Last and Sound Of Music LPs, but I came away with a nice little haul.

In the very first charity shop I picked up a copy of The Art Of Noise's 1984 proto-sample cut-and-stick pop hit Close (To The Edit) for 30p. A little musique concrète gem amongst the Lionel Richies and Band Aids. The b-side is a curious one – a medley/sampler of all the tracks on their album Who’s Afraid Of (The Art Of Noise), and the sleeve has a punch-out token for 50p off the album (offer closes 30th November 1984).












The Art Of Noise - Close (To The Edit)









The Art Of Noise -A Time To Hear (Who's Listening)
[buy The Art Of Noise from iTunes | Amazon.uk]



Our final stop of the day unearthed something even better – a 1965 Françoise Hardy seven-inch, the UK version of Le Temps Des Souvenirs sung in English as Just Call And I’ll Be There. And on the flip-side, one of my faves, You Just Have To Say The Word. It used to belong to Hazel, who lost the sleeve, but did stick a little name label on with (age-yellowed) sellotape. And the price: a mere 49p!









Françoise Hardy - Just Call And I'll Be There
Françoise Hardy - You Just Have To Say The Word
[buy Françoise Hardy from Amazon.com]



Other records I picked up:
A Link Wray Early Recordings LP for 50p
A 1981 reissued Sun Records compilation LP Rebel Rockabilly for 50p
And, er, The Most of Lulu for 50p for the track Love Loves To Love Love.

Once we’d got charity shop fatigue we went for a little walk along the prom, and in the evening we went to see our dear friend Bat For Lashes at the De La Warr Pavillion.




It was a grand day out.

………………………………………………………………
ps. I’m pleased to say I’ve finally set up my record player so I can record vinyl.

No comments: